The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
December 16, 1991 Issue - 22 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 2-3
Air Force women, more Shakespeare, a Tibetan revolt, etc.
- TRB: Race Unconcious, pp. 4-6
Quoats: the president blinks
Inside America's Schools: A Special Report
- School Haze, pp. 7-8
The president's education plan isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than Ted Kennedy's ...
- Uncivil Rites, p. 9
George Bush's latest judicial activism
- Notebook, p. 9
Bushism of the week
- White House Watch: Last Laugh, pp. 9-11
The civil rights bill's stealth provision banning affirmative action
- Vukovar Postcard: The Dead, p. 12
The Serbian army's tour of hell
- Romeboys, pp. 13-15
Whatever happened to Catholic single-sex schools?
- Aren't We Special?, pp. 16-17
The dope on 'gifted' education
- Savage Inequalities, pp. 18-19
Jonathan Kozol is right that school funding is unfair. But equalizing the disparities w...
- Flunked, pp. 20-21
Could you pass the Japanese SAT?
- Beyond the Pale, pp. 22-23
Racial role models in education miss the point. The only thing that really matters is g...
- Scenes from the Class Struggle, pp. 24-33
A year ago the author signed up with Teach for America, a scheme to bring amateur teach...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Opera Lovers (Review) , pp. 34-35
Meeting Venus (1991 Film), by Istvan Szabo
- Meeting Venus (1991 Film) by Istvan Szabo
- On Theater: Memories of Joe, pp. 36-39
Joseph Papp and American theatre
- Brushes With Death, pp. 40-41
Painting and the end of communism
[+] Flaubert's Parrot (Review) , pp. 42-44
Talking It Over, by Julian Barnes
- Talking It Over by Julian Barnes
[+] Capital Crimes (2 Reviews) , p. 45
Scandal, by Suzanne Garment
- Scandal by Suzanne Garment
- Feeding Frenzy by Larry J. Sabato
- Dought Year, pp. 46-49
[+] The Big Easy (3 Reviews) , pp. 50-53
Den of Thieves, by James B. Stewart
- Den of Thieves by James B. Stewart
- Eagle on the Street by David A. Vise and Steve Coll
- Inside Out by Dennis B. Levine and William Hoffer
- Tokyo Diarist: East of Eden, pp. 54-56