The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
April 8, 1991 Issue - 18 Articles
- TRB: Executive Sweets, pp. 4-5
Why CEOs get more as companies earn less
- Correspondence, p. 6
In defense of Dellums, George Eliot's youthful indiscretions, etc.
- Forced Union, p. 7
- Rest in Pieces , p. 8
- Notebook , p. 9
- Science and Society: Biotech Bingo, pp. 10-11
For financial speculators, betting on wonder drugs is still a long shot at a big jackpot
- Vaticant, pp. 12-13
The Pope's fatuous utterances on the Gulf war
- Bloody Balkans, p. 14
The fracas in Yugoslavia seems to be over communism. In fact, the roots of the conflict...
- Islam Dunk, pp. 15-17
Forget the Arab-American anti-Saddam coalition. Pan-Arab resentment of the West is aliv...
- Maxwell's House, pp. 18-21
If the past is any guide, the bloated British magnate who just bought the Daily News wi...
- Rolls-Royce Revolutionaries, pp. 22-25
Before he gets around to details like providing food, water, and transportation for the...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Mazes (2 Reviews) , p. 26
Korczak (1991 Film), by Andrzej Wajda
- Korczak (1991 Film) by Andrzej Wajda
- Zero City (1991 Film) by Karen Shakhnazarov
[+] Keats in Harlem (Review) , pp. 27-31
My Soul's High Song, by Countee Cullen and Gerald Early
- My Soul's High Song by Countee Cullen and Gerald Early
- Dead Christ, p. 32
[+] The Two Homers (2 Reviews) , pp. 33-37
The Iliad, by Robert Fagles and Homer
- The Iliad by Robert Fagles and Homer
- The Odyssey of Homer by Allen Mandelbaum
[+] Modernism's Child (Review) , pp. 38-41
A Ravel Reader, by Arbie Orenstein and Maurice Ravel
- A Ravel Reader by Arbie Orenstein and Maurice Ravel
- Washington Diarist: Matters of Conscience, pp. 42-44
Fools on the Hill