The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
October 29, 1990 Issue - 19 Articles
- Capital Pain, pp. 4-5
Would George Bush please give up already?
- Correspondence, p. 6
Government arts funding, computer problems
- Dome of the Rocks, p. 7
The violence on Jerusalem's Temple Mount was far from spontaneous
- Notebook, p. 8
Dark doings at Darthmouth, etc.
- Pollution Absolution, p. 9
If we're going to sell pollution rights, why not monetize jaywalking, or, for that matt...
- White House Watch: Knives Out, pp. 9-11
Forget kinder and gentler. With the budget fiasco, backstabbing finally returns to the ...
- Splitting Headache, p. 12
A cause of Soviet disunion: no aspirin
- Blood Baath, pp. 13-14
The career of Saddam Hussein and his party once again proves an age-old truth of politi...
- Every Man a Milken, pp. 15-16
Get-rich-quick schemes are an American tradition, but the Charles J. Givens method is a...
- Salking the Cold Trail, pp. 17-20
Why spend money to find a cure for the common cold when people are dying of AIDS? Becau...
- The Abyss, pp. 21-25
The recession is here---or just around the corner, depending on whom you talk to. The q...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Body Count (3 Reviews) , pp. 26-27
Miller's Crossing (1990 Film), by Joel Coen and Ethan Coen
- Miller's Crossing (1990 Film) by Joel Coen and Ethan Coen
- State of Grace (1990 Film) by Phil Joanou
- The King of New York (1990 Film) by Abel Ferrara
- Word Power, pp. 28-31
What are intellectuals, anyway?
[+] Speed-the Brow (3 Reviews) , pp. 32-35
Some Freaks, by David Mamet
- Some Freaks by David Mamet
- We're No Angels by David Mamet
- The Hero Pony by David Mamet
[+] Coming Home (Review) , pp. 36-38
Omeros, by Derek Walcott
- Omeros by Derek Walcott
[+] Running for Cover (Review) , p. 39
See How They Run, by Paul Taylor
- See How They Run by Paul Taylor
- Pope's Grotto, pp. 40-41
- Berlin Diarist: Oktoberfest, pp. 42-44
The wurst of times