The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
October 22, 1990 Issue - 18 Articles
- TRB: Docutrauma, pp. 4-5
Tuning into the war on TV
- Correspondence, p. 6
The 'good' Arabs, the 'evil' Japanese, etc.
- Raw Deal, p. 7
It may be better than nothing, but the Bush-Congress budget compromise promises pain fo...
- Notebook, p. 8
Senator Armstrong's strong-arm tactics, the return of urine testing, etc.
- Socialist Heroes, p. 9
Some long-withheld Khrushchev tapes provide the first high-level Soviet confirmation th...
- White House Watch: Chopped Lips, pp. 10-11
President Bush went into budget negotiations holding most of the cards, and came out wi...
- Hi, Yo Silber!, pp. 12-13
Here's one thing the Democratic candidate for governor of Massachusetts is sure of: tha...
- Hero of Choice, pp. 14-17
The Republicans cheering Polly William's Milwaukee voucher plan seem intensely uncuriou...
- Darkness at Dawn, p. 18
The followers of Father Menn, a Russian Orthodox priest who was once a Jew, don't belie...
- How to Beat Bubba, pp. 19-21
If Democrat Ann Richards wants to win her race for governor of Texas, she ought to retu...
- The Heresies of Pat Buchanan, pp. 22-27
The question obsessing Washington---whether the columnist is an anti-Semite or not---ca...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Blood Money (Review) , pp. 28-29
GoodFellas (1990 Film), by Martin Scorsese
- GoodFellas (1990 Film) by Martin Scorsese
- On Theater: I(n the Midst of Death, pp. 30-31
Beckett's visions of the end
[+] How the West Was Won or Lost (33 Reviews) , pp. 32-37
The Mythic West in Twentieth-Century America, by Robert G. Athearn
- The Mythic West in Twentieth-Century America by Robert G. Athearn
- Myth of the West by Chris Bruce
- Forgotten Frontier by A. Dudley Gardner and Verla R. Flores
- New Lands, New Men by William H. Goetzmann
- The West of the Imagination by William H. Goetzmann and William N. Goetzmann, ...
- The Legacy of Conquest by Patricia Nelson Limerick
- The Female Frontier by Glenda Riley
- Cannery Women, Cannery Lives by Vicki L. Ruiz
- The Conquest of Paradise by Kirkpatrick Sale
- Far from Home by Lillian Schlissel, Byrd Gibbens, and Elizabeth Hampsten, ...
- Western Women: Their Land, Their Lives by Lillian Schlissel, Janice Monk, and Vicki L. Ruiz, ...
- Cowboys of the Americas by Richard W. Slatta
- Beyond the Mythic West by Stewart L. Udall
- Many Tender Ties by Sylvia Van Kirk
- Dust Bowl: The Southern Plains in the 1930s by Donald Worster
- Rivers of Empire by Donald Worster
- We Pointed Them North by E.C. Abbott and Helena Huntington Smith
- Sky Determines: An Interpretation of the Southwest by Ross Calvin
- Son of the Morning Star by Evan S. Connell
- The Rise and Fall of the Choctaw Republic by Angie Debo
- The Road to Disappearance by Angie Debo
- Geronimo: The Man, His Time, His Place by Angie Debo
- Exploration and Empire by William H. Goetzmann
- Charles Goodnight: Cowman and Plainsman by J. Evetts Haley
- The Trail Drivers of Texas by J. Marvin Hunter
- Turner, Bolton, and Webb by Wilbur R. Jacobs, John Walton Caughey, and Joe Bertram Frantz, ...
- The Comanche Barrier to South Plains Settlement by Rupert Norval Richardson
- Virgin Land: The American West as Symbol and Myth by Henry Nash Smith
- The American Cowboy by Lonn Taylor and Ingrid Maar
- The Significance of the Frontier, and Other Essays by Frederick Jackson Turner
- The Plains Across by John D. Unruh, Jr.
- The Great Plains by Walter Prescott Webb
- The Great Frontier by Walter Prescott Webb
[+] Fearful Symmetry (Review) , pp. 38-39
Hourglass, by Danilo Kis
- Hourglass by Danilo Kis
- Videnda, pp. 40-42
[+] No Common Ground (Review) , pp. 43-45
Abortion: The Clash of Absolutes, by Laurence H. Tribe
- Abortion: The Clash of Absolutes by Laurence H. Tribe
- Gdansk Diarist: KECZ-22, pp. 46-48
Facing Polish political hang-ups