The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
November 26, 1990 Issue - 18 Articles
- TRB: Uncle Sam Doesn't Want You, pp. 4-5
The ballad of the Woodstock Brigade
- Correspondence, p. 6
British racism and the Rushdie affair, etc.
- The Visible Hand, pp. 7-11
If industrial policy means government making investment decisions for the market, it's ...
- Notebook, p. 12
Thomas Friedman's brown nose, etc.
- Entr'acte, pp. 12-13
The midterm electoral intermission
- White House Watch: Identity Crisis, p. 14
Twenty-two months into his presidency, even his closest advisers don't know who George ...
- Baghdad Postcard: Stiff Upper Lip, pp. 15-16
When Iraq doesn't kill British reporters, it scares the living daylights out of them
- Pic-ah-so, p. 17
The Japanese passion for French Impressionists demonstrates a highly cultivated sensiti...
- Racism 101, pp. 18-20
Our man takes a crash course in Afro-centrism
- Freedom Bummer, pp. 21-23
Not so very long ago, the whole world seemed to be turning democratic. Pity it couldn't...
- Drug of Choice, pp. 24-27
When RU 486 was just an abortion pill, prolifers had to trouble keeping it suppressed. ...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Troublemakers (3 Reviews) , pp. 28-29
The Nasty Girl (1990 Film), by Michael Verhoeven
- The Nasty Girl (1990 Film) by Michael Verhoeven
- White Palace (1990 Film) by Luis Mandoki
- Sibling Rivalry (1990 Film) by Carl Reiner
[+] The Misfortune Teller (Review) , pp. 30-34
The Faces of Injustice, by Judith N. Shklar
- The Faces of Injustice by Judith N. Shklar
[+] The Beginning of the End (3 Reviews) , pp. 35-37
South Africa: Diary of Troubled Times, by Nomavenda Mathiane
- South Africa: Diary of Troubled Times by Nomavenda Mathiane
- The Mind of South Africa by Allister Sparks
- Higher Than Hope by Fatima Meer
- WWI (Writing While Under the Influence), pp. 38-41
[+] The Master's Secret (2 Reviews) , pp. 42-46
The Devil at Isenheim, by Ruth Mellinkoff
- The Devil at Isenheim by Ruth Mellinkoff
- The Isenheim Altarpiece by Andree Hayum
- Washington Diarist: No-Run Homer, pp. 47-48