The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
November 19, 1990 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 2-3
Revisiting the West, Buchanan, and Nixon, etc.
- TRB: Cui Bono, p. 4
Who wins from the new oil crisis?
- Nowhere Man, p. 5
Can the Bush presidency get any more vacuous?
- Notebook, p. 6
The Reagan tapes, the Barry sentence, etc.
- Moonskies, pp. 7-9
The Unification Church cashes in on Soviet decline
- White House Watch: Quota, Unquota, p. 10
How George Bush set out to sign the 1990 Civil Rights Bill, and flip-flopped his way to...
- The Mexican Lunch, pp. 11-12
A sordid Beltway tale of influence-peddling, back-scratching, public relations, and the...
[+] Spook Kook (Review) , p. 13
By Way of Deception, by Victor Ostrovsky and Claire Hoy
- By Way of Deception by Victor Ostrovsky and Claire Hoy
- Rainbow Collision, pp. 14-17
The civil rights alliance between Hispanics and blacks, always fragile, is finally head...
- To the Finland Station?, pp. 18-21
Early this fall, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn broke his long silence about the turmoil in his...
- Back in the USSR, pp. 22-23
The reaction of Solzhenitsyn's compatriots
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: To the Manor Born (Review) , pp. 24-25
Reversal of Fortune (1990 Film), by Barbet Schroeder
- Reversal of Fortune (1990 Film) by Barbet Schroeder
- On Theater: The Avant-Garde and Shock Art, pp. 26-27
The latest in victim theater: animals unite in Martha Clarke's Endangered Species
[+] What Is World Poetry? (Review) , pp. 28-31
The August Sleepwalker, by Bei Dao
- The August Sleepwalker by Bei Dao
[+] The Saving Remnant (Review) , pp. 32-35
The Feeling Intellect, by Philip Rieff and Jonathan B. Imber
- The Feeling Intellect by Philip Rieff and Jonathan B. Imber
[+] Adventure Capitalism (3 Reviews) , pp. 36-37
"Getting Paid", by Mercer L. Sullivan
- "Getting Paid" by Mercer L. Sullivan
- The Cocaine Kids by Terry Williams
- Seductions of Crime by Jack Katz
- Burning The Flags, pp. 38-41
- Pakistan Diarist: Team Player, pp. 42-44
An election 'observed'