The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
June 25, 1990 Issue - 18 Articles
- TRB: Perestoika Bailout, pp. 4-5
Reasons to throw money at the USSR
- Correspondence, p. 6
Dissecting liberalism, 'group rights' in South Africa, etc.
- Potemkin Summit, p. 7
- The PLO Chorus , pp. 8-9
- Notebook , pp. 10-11
- White House Watch: Be Nice to Gorby, p. 12
Bush wasn't about to let sticky issues like Lithuania and Germany stand in the way of a...
- The Moscow Primary, pp. 13-15
Foreign policy has become George Bush's most effective weapon in domestic politics
- Bophuthatswana Postcard: Shantyland, pp. 16-17
In South Africa's rural homelands, apartheid's most hapless victims have yet to experie...
- Amazon Grace, pp. 18-19
In the Brazilian rain forest, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. But that'...
- Rain Forest Chic, pp. 20-22
Conserving Brazil's tropical wilds by marketing its politically correct nuts isn't all ...
- Post-Totalitarian Depression, pp. 23-25
Life is more complicated since communism came tumbling down in Eastern Europe
Books and the Arts
- On Films: Phenomena, p. 26
- The Decline of the City of Mahagonny, pp. 27-33
- Week as an Example of Years, pp. 34-38
[+] The Slippery South (Review) , p. 39
Slavery and Freedom, by James Oakes
- Slavery and Freedom by James Oakes
[+] Cloudy Genius (Review) , pp. 40-42
Coleridge: Early Visions, 1772-1804, by Richard Holmes
- Coleridge: Early Visions, 1772-1804 by Richard Holmes
- Washington Diarist: Breathless, pp. 43-44
Triumphs from ambitious blondes: Madonna and Maggie