The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
June 11, 1990 Issue - 19 Articles
- TRB: Where Are They Now?, pp. 4-5
Did the anti-Washington Reagan administration leave Washington?
- Correspondence, p. 6
Where to wage the war on drugs, the 'free' world, etc.
- Say the Right Thing, pp. 7-9
- Personal Accounts , p. 10
- Notebook , p. 11
- White House Watch: Veto-Ready, p. 12
Bush would love to cement his support among blacks by signing a civil rights bill. But ...
- Ceausescu's Ghosts, pp. 13-15
The election won by Romania's National Salvation Front was mostly fair, but it was far ...
- Race Baiting, p. 16
Every spring Wisconsin's Chippewa exercise their ancestral right to spearfish, and do b...
- Stop the Buck Here, pp. 17-19
If America can't compete with Japan, it's not because our currency is too strong. A fir...
- The Age of Solidarity, pp. 20-21
As Poles feel the economic pinch, the luster of Lech Walesa and his fellow opposition l...
- Bleeding-Heart Conservative, pp. 22-25
HUD looked like a bad career move for presidential aspirant Jack Kemp. But the bold ide...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Elsewhere (3 Reviews) , p. 26
A City of Sadness (1989 Film), by Hsiao-Hsien Hou
- A City of Sadness (1989 Film) by Hsiao-Hsien Hou
- Pathfinder (1988 Film) by Nils Gaup
- Bird on a Wire (1990 Film) by John Badham
[+] The Open Marriage of True Minds (Review) , pp. 27-30
Simone de Beauvoir: A Biography, by Deirdre Bair
- Simone de Beauvoir: A Biography by Deirdre Bair
- Night Train, p. 31
[+] Party Animal (Review) , pp. 32-33
Fighting for Peace, by Caspar W. Weinberger
- Fighting for Peace by Caspar W. Weinberger
[+] Varieties of Mysticism (3 Reviews) , pp. 34-38
Kabbalah: New Perspectives, by Moshe Idel
- Kabbalah: New Perspectives by Moshe Idel
- Studies in Ecstatic Kabbalah by Moshe Idel
- The Mystical Experience in Abraham Abulafia by Moshe Idel
[+] Available Light (Review) , pp. 39-41
What Light There Is and Other Poems, by Eamon Grennan
- What Light There Is and Other Poems by Eamon Grennan
- Versailles Diarist: Peace Through Pate, pp. 42-44
Celebrating the cold war's end with a glass of perfectly chilled muscadet
- Cover photo