The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
July 23, 1990 Issue - 20 Articles
- TRB: Bart for President, pp. 4-5
What Hollywood has figured out that the Democrats don't get
- Correspondence, p. 6
Civil rights acts, media as art, etc.
- Lip-Flop, p. 7
- Half Nelson , p. 8
- Patronage Please , p. 9
- Notebook , p. 10
- Walesa's War, p. 10
As union leader and statesman, Lech has always played a unifying role. Why is he now d...
- Party Spoilers, pp. 11-12
To survive the 28th Communist Party Congress, Gorbachev must fend off a conservative co...
- Call to Harm, pp. 13-14
With Marion Barry at his side, Minister Farrakhan worked his Washington congregation in...
- Theory of Choice, pp. 15-16
Lawyers and judges deploy the latest academic fad in an effort to make themselves more ...
- Kashmir Scars, pp. 17-19
Unless India and Pakistan resolve their old territorial wrangle, the Asian subcontinent...
- Toward a Civil Society, pp. 20-25
South Africa's opposition groups are being encouraged to join forces with the ANC. The ...
Books and the Arts
- On Films: Crisis, p. 26
[+] All the President's Plays (5 Reviews) , pp. 27-31
Largo Desolato, by Vaclav Havel
- Largo Desolato by Vaclav Havel
- Temptation by Vaclav Havel
- The Memorandum by Vaclav Havel
- The Vanek Plays by Marketa Goetz-Stankiewicz
- Disturbing the Peace by Vaclav Havel
[+] The Inconsolable (2 Reviews) , pp. 32-35
Randall Jarrell: A Literary Life, by William H. Pritchard
- Randall Jarrell: A Literary Life by William H. Pritchard
- Selected Poems by Randall Jarrell and William H. Pritchard
- Piano, p. 36
[+] Up Against the Wall (Review) , pp. 37-38
The Innocent, by Ian McEwan
- The Innocent by Ian McEwan
[+] Good Offices (Review) , pp. 39-41
Bureaucracy, by James Q. Wilson
- Bureaucracy by James Q. Wilson
- Washington Diarist: Praise the Lord, pp. 42-44
Thoughts on the secret of a downtown church