The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
December 31, 1990 Issue - 20 Articles
- TRB: The War Powers War, pp. 4-5
Can Bush fight Iraq without Congress?
- Correspondence, p. 6
Gulf fallacies, blacks against afrocentrism, etc.
- House of Ill-Repute, pp. 7-8
The real scandal isn't just the Keating Five. It's that so few in Congress think that s...
- Notebook, p. 9
- Science and Society: Topic of Cancer, pp. 9-11
There's a growing debate about whether a costly new medical procedure helps women with ...
- Sogra Postcard: Absolut Hell, p. 12
Perestroika in the Russian tundra
- YMCA, p. 13
Why the Japanese have set out to buy Hollywood
- One Man, One Share, pp. 14-15
One-man, one-vote is coming to South Africa. But democracy could do with some capitalis...
- Faith to Faith, p. 16
There's another big loser in the Gulf crisis: the Christian minority in Arab countries
- Thanks for Sharing, pp. 17-18
Have you heard that our allies in the Gulf crisis are paying their chunk of the costs? ...
- Way Off Base, pp. 19-20
Filipinos are obsessed with the U.S. military presence in their country. The marines ar...
- Why I Hate Christmas, pp. 21-25
Tiding of comfort ant joy? Bah, argues our yuletide economist. Moreover, humbug. Christ...
Books and the Arts
- On Films: Forgotten Films, p. 26
[+] The Return of the Melting Pot (4 Reviews) , pp. 27-33
Ethnic Identity, by Richard D. Alba
- Ethnic Identity by Richard D. Alba
- The American Kaleidoscope by Lawrence H. Fuchs
- Immigrant America: A Portrait by Alejandro Portes and Ruben G. Rumbaut
- Ethnic Options by Mary C. Waters
[+] First Serve (Review) , pp. 34-35
Gratitude, by William F. Buckley, Jr.
- Gratitude by William F. Buckley, Jr.
[+] Periscope Gaze (Review) , pp. 36-39
Near Changes, by Mona Van Duyn
- Near Changes by Mona Van Duyn
[+] After the Fall (Review) , p. 40
Novalis, by Kristin Pfefferkorn
- Novalis by Kristin Pfefferkorn
- Whistler: The White Girl, pp. 41-42
- Washington Diarist: Being Boring, pp. 43-44
The Church, the 1990s, etc.