The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
September 11, 1989 Issue - 20 Articles
- It's Your Party, pp. 4-5
Don't get mad at Malcolm Forbes. Get even
- Correspondence, p. 6
Catastrophic coverage, airline deregulation, etc.
- Crackmire, pp. 7-9
- West Bank Fratricide , p. 10
- Notebook;All dueling headlines edition, p. 11
- Solidarity in Power, pp. 12-13
Is the right to govern Poland something anyone sensible should want right now?
- On the Hill: Armey's Aesthetic, pp. 14-15
A visit with a congressional art critic
- Ninteen Thirty-Nine, pp. 16-17
Fifty years later, Poland's fate is still page one
- Sex, Lies, and Japanese Politics, pp. 18-19
How women are bringing down the corrupt coalition of interest groups that has ruled Jap...
- The Tokyo Chainsaw Massacre, pp. 20-21
- Hot Tombs, pp. 22-23
You've got the right house, the right car, the right country home, the kids are in the ...
- The Graveyards of Jerusalem, pp. 24-25
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Truth and Inconsequences (3 Reviews) , p. 26
Romero (1989 Film), by John Duigan
- Romero (1989 Film) by John Duigan
- A Chorus of Disapproval (1989 Film) by Michael Winner
- Turner and Hooch (1989 Film) by Roger Spottiswoode
- On Theater: The First Amendment and the NEA, pp. 27-29
What Jesse Helms and other art critics don't understand
[+] The Imperial Residency (2 Reviews) , pp. 30-32
In Our Image, by Stanley Karnow
- In Our Image by Stanley Karnow
- Edward Lansdale: The Unquiet American by Cecil B. Currey
[+] The Elizabethan Modern (Review) , pp. 33-35
The Yale Edition of the Shorter Poems of Edmund Spenser, by William A. Oram, Einar Bjor...
- The Yale Edition of the Shorter Poems of Edmund Spenser by William A. Oram, Einar Bjorvand, and Ronald Bond, ...
- Dreamer, pp. 36-37
[+] Bleak House (Review) , pp. 38-41
Affliction, by Russell Banks
- Affliction by Russell Banks
- Washington Diarist, pp. 42-44
- Cover: Spring Grove Cemetary