The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
March 27, 1989 Issue - 22 Articles
- Tower Play, pp. 4-5
He coulda been a condender
- Correspondence, p. 6
Abandoning Roe, soaking the rich, etc.
- Bring Back Big Spending, pp. 7-8
- False Note , p. 9
- Notebook, p. 9
National Prune Day, dueling headlines, etc.
- Peace Later, pp. 10-11
A Palestinian state on the installment plan
- White House Watch: Four Bore Years, pp. 12-13
When will the Bush administration stop drifting? Who says it has to?
- A Modest Proposal, pp. 14-15
Jon Swift on John Tower
- Miller Guy Life, p. 16
If you can't push beer, push bates
- Oh, Jerusalem!, p. 17
February's municipal elections deepened the fault lines running through the Holy City
- Tax Americana, pp. 18-19
It's easy for multinationals to use overseas operations to dodge U.S. taxes, and Bush w...
- EC, Phone Home, pp. 20-23
Would somebody please bring the Europeans back down to earth before 1992?
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Manhattan Moods (Review) , pp. 24-25
New York Stories (1989 Film), by Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, and Woody Allen...
- New York Stories (1989 Film) by Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, and Woody Allen, ...
- Fast Art, pp. 26-27
The Andy Warhol retrospective is the perfect show for people on the run: the vacant ico...
[+] Family Circle (Review) , pp. 28-29
Loyalties: A Son's Memoir, by Carl Bernstein
- Loyalties: A Son's Memoir by Carl Bernstein
- An Old-Fashioned Song, pp. 30-31
[+] True Relations (Review) , pp. 32-34
The Swing Era, by Gunther Schuller
- The Swing Era by Gunther Schuller
[+] Burmese Days (Review) , p. 35
John Dollar, by Marianne Wiggins
- John Dollar by Marianne Wiggins
[+] Postmodern Picaresque (Review) , pp. 36-39
Moon Palace, by Paul Auster
- Moon Palace by Paul Auster
[+] A Doctor's Odyssey (Review) , pp. 40-42
Balm in Gilead, by Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot
- Balm in Gilead by Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot
- Washington Diarist, pp. 43-44
- Cover: Self-Portrait with Skull (1978)