The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
December 18, 1989 Issue - 18 Articles
- TRB: Essential Reading, pp. 4-5
OK, OK, I'm reading as fast as I can
- Correspondence, p. 6
In pursuit of democracy, George Gilder, etc.
- Prague Sprung, p. 7
The ten days that shook Czechoslovakia
- Notebook, p. 8
The bloody usual in Lebanon, Jesse Jackson's Farrakhan problem, etc.
- White House Watch: Lucky George, pp. 9-11
Through no fault of his own, President Bush got what he wanted out of Congress's last s...
- Science and Society: Cancer Warp, pp. 12-13
Half a million Americans will die from cancer this year. A look at why we're losing the...
- Seeing Is Believing, pp. 14-15
A Berlin's vast family reunion, the long-lost relatives hardly know each other
- Senator Perfect, pp. 16-19
Nebraska freshman Bob Kerrey impresses Democrats hungry for a hero with his political s...
- Fall of the Patriarch, pp. 20-23
Gen. Augusto Pinochet can't stop Chile from democratizing. But he's trying
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Doing the Right Thing (2 Reviews) , pp. 24-25
Harlem Nights (1989 Film), by Eddie Murphy
- Harlem Nights (1989 Film) by Eddie Murphy
- Sidewalk Stories (1989 Film) by Charles Lane#2
[+] The Spirits and the Letters (Review) , pp. 26-30
The Correspondence of Walter Benjamin and Gershom Scholem, 1932-1940, by Gershom Schole...
- The Correspondence of Walter Benjamin and Gershom Scholem, 1932-1940 by Gershom Scholem and Walter Benjamin
[+] Dog Days (Review) , p. 31
Ackerley, by Peter Parker
- Ackerley by Peter Parker
- Literal Lives, pp. 32-33
[+] The Matter With Style (Review) , pp. 34-36
Vladimir Nabokov: Selected Letters, 1940-1977, by Dmitri Nabokov, Matthew J. Bruccoli, ...
- Vladimir Nabokov: Selected Letters, 1940-1977 by Dmitri Nabokov, Matthew J. Bruccoli, and Vladimir Nabokov, ...
[+] Ire Land (Review) , pp. 37-38
Ulster: Conflict and Consent, by Tom Wilson
- Ulster: Conflict and Consent by Tom Wilson
[+] Last Exit to Queens (Review) , pp. 39-41
The Other Side, by Mary Gordon
- The Other Side by Mary Gordon
- New Orleans Diarist: Apres Moi, Le Deluge, pp. 42-44
A flood of memories in the Big Easy