The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
August 7, 1989 Issue - 19 Articles
- From Washington, pp. 4-5
Loophole Patriotism: The search for a constitutional way to ban flag burning is hopeles...
- Correspondence, p. 6
What ails Roger Ailes, etc.
- Demand-Side Reform, p. 7
Attempts to control campaign contributions are futile. The solution is to make politics...
- Notebook, pp. 8-10
Carla Hills, Mike Dukakis, Maggie Thatcher, etc.
- White House Watch: Affable Abroad, p. 11
The "Mr. Nice Guy" show hits the road
- Postcard Phoenix: How Hot Is It?, pp. 12-13
- Enemies of Peace, p. 14
On both sides, they're trying to kill America's latest Mideast plan---and succeeding
- Britain's Shame, p. 15
The abandonment of Hong Kong is a suitably sordid end to the British empire
- Washington Scene: Art of the Voyeur, pp. 16-19
Craig Spence, focus of D.C.'s latest scandal, is the extreme example of a common Washin...
- Lack of Solidarity, p. 20
So far, Bush's characteristically chintzy offers of aid to Poland belie his characteris...
- Totems and Taboos, pp. 21-25
Thoughts in a Budapest graveyard
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Tax Dodgings (2 Reviews) , p. 26
A Taxing Woman's Return (1989 Film), by Juzo Itami
- A Taxing Woman's Return (1989 Film) by Juzo Itami
- Licence to Kill (1989 Film) by John Glen
- The Telltale Scar, pp. 27-28
[+] The Master of Mish-Mash (Review) , pp. 29-33
Arnold J. Toynbee: A Life, by William H. McNeill
- Arnold J. Toynbee: A Life by William H. McNeill
[+] Man of Music (Review) , p. 34
Mark the Music, by Eric A. Gordon
- Mark the Music by Eric A. Gordon
- Rereading Jane Austen's Novels, pp. 35-36
[+] Life on the Edge (Review) , pp. 37-38
The Shadow Lines, by Amitav Ghosh
- The Shadow Lines by Amitav Ghosh
[+] Let's Go (Review) , pp. 39-41
Great Plains, by Ian Frazier
- Great Plains by Ian Frazier
- Holland Diarist, pp. 42-44