The Freeman Archives
The Freeman • 56 Years, 639 Issues, 9,179 Articles, 40,767pp
March 1995 Issue - 22 Articles
- Perspective, pp. 138-139
- Risks in the Modern World: What Prospects for Rationality?, pp. 140-144
Aaron Wildavsky's legacy: insight into why Americans handle risk as they do.
- Chemicals and Witches: Standards of Evidence in Regulation, pp. 145-148
What seventeenth-century witchhunts have in common with modern panics over chemicals.
- Controlling Risk: Regulation or Rights?, pp. 149-151
Dealing with risk through the political process leads to ineffective and unjust programs.
- Ideas and Consequences-Recycling Myths, pp. 152-154
Too often, recycling is promoted as an end in itself.
- EcoKids: New Automatons on the Block, pp. 155-159
Environmental "education" is destroying the joys of childhood.
- The Role of Rights, pp. 160-162
Reducing risk through statutes erodes protection through private property rights.
- The War on Radon: Few Join Up, pp. 163-164
The Environmental Protection Agency fails to create a panic over radon.
- A Matter of Principle-Cultural Pollution, pp. 165-166
The welfare state plays havoc with the moral character of our society.
- Making the Polluter Pay, pp. 167-170
Why the polluter rarely pays.
- Why Governments Can't Handle Risk, pp. 171-173
Five reasons why government are ill-suited to anticipating harm.
- Human Health and Costly Risk Reduction, pp. 174-176
Federal regulations waste resources, reduce incomes, and endanger health.
- Assessing the Risk Assessors, pp. 177-180
Experts should be instruments rather than arbiters in the assessment of risk.
- Owning the Unownable, pp. 181-184
The debate over environmental stewardship echoes the calculation debate over socialism.
- Adam Smith-"I Had Almost Forgot that I Was the Author of the Inquiry Concerning the Wealth of Nations, pp. 185-189
An unlikely revolutionary, Adam Smith changed forever the way people think about govern...
Economics on Trial-Friedman Challenges Hayek
- The debate continues., pp. 190-191
[+] Review Eco-Sanity: A Common-Sense Guide to Environmen... (Review) , p. 192
- Eco-Sanity: A Common-Sense Guide to Environmentalism by Joseph L. Bast, Peter J. Hill, and Richard C. Rue, ...
[+] Review No Turning Back, by Wallace Kaufman (Review) , pp. 193-194
- No Turning Back by Wallace Kaufman
[+] Review The Spirit of Freedom, by Burton W. Folsom, Jr. (Review) , p. 195
- The Spirit of Freedom by Burton W. Folsom, Jr.
[+] Review Public Goods and Private Communities, by Fred ... (Review) , pp. 196-197
- Public Goods and Private Communities by Fred Foldvary
[+] Review Systems of Survival, by Jane Jacobs (Review) , p. 198
- Systems of Survival by Jane Jacobs
- Notes from Fee-Minimum Wages
Few economic laws, if any, are more malicious than minimum wage laws.