The American Enterprise Archives
The American Enterprise • 10 Years, 68 Issues, 2,217 Articles, 5,684pp
July 1998 Issue - 39 Articles
- Bird's Eye, pp. 4-7
Why China Doesn't Scare Me.
- Sidelights, pp. 8-9
Turtle Rights. Puppy Perfume. Male Hissy Fits.
- Scan: Short News and Commentary, pp. 10-17
A Liberal Senator for School Choice. An Expensive FOB. Government as Barcalounger. Mich...
- Indicators: Numbers Etc., pp. 18-19
Round-Up on School Choice Reforms. Does More Educational Spending Get Results? Hypocrit...
- Two Views, pp. 20-21
China Will Be Largely Democratic in 20 Years.
- "Live" with TAE, pp. 22-25
A Cold Warrior Turned Protectionist, Talks about His Conversion, as Well as His Friends...
- A Chinese Century?, pp. 26-28
- China Will Bloom, pp. 29-30
- Our China Problem, pp. 31-33
- Why China's Economic Future May Be Less Spectacular Than You Think, pp. 34-35
- China's Foolish Miracle , p. 36
- Why China Won't Become a Superpower Anytime Soon , pp. 37-39
- The Chinese Military Threat, pp. 40-43
The Game China Is Playing with Her Neighbors Is Like the One Played by Austria and Germ...
- Don't Overestimate China's Power, pp. 44-49
China's Domestic Backwardness and Her Antiquated Military Constrain Her Ability to Make...
- Are the Chinese Ready for Liberty?, pp. 50-53
Has the "One Child" Policy Exposed a National Docility?
- China's New Population Problem, pp. 54-56
In the Process of Attacking "Overpopulation," China Has Created Other, More Daunting, S...
1998 America: Triumphant? Or in Trouble?
- Excerpts from "A World Split Apart", pp. 57-59
- Response , p. 60
- --- by John O'Sullivan, p. 61
- --- by Mark Steyn, p. 62
- --- by John Lukacs, p. 63
- --- by David Aikman, p. 64
- --- by Michael Novak, p. 65
- The Cure for Multiple Shootings, pp. 66-67
Savage Multiple Murders Haunt the Nation, But One Policy Has Proven Dramatically Effect...
- How Washington Killed Affordable Housing, pp. 68-70
Federal Programs Have Been Disasters for Cities, Complains the Democratic Mayor of Milw...
In Real Life: First-Person America
- Raising Two Daughters Has Sapped His Attraction to Ayn Rand., p. 71
- Human Gold in Junkyards., p. 72
- Enterprising, p. 73
U.S. Businesses Desperately Need Skilled Works That Our Education System Isn't Supplyin...
- The Economist, pp. 74-75
Pat Buchanan Has Become a Confused Economic Liberal.
- Flashback, pp. 76-77
Allegania the Beautiful? It Would Be Easier to Move the Mountains Themselves Than to Ch...
- Hollywood Report, pp. 78-79
Will Hollywood Become the Last Refuge of Bill Clinton?
[+] Thoroughly Modern Adolf (Review) , pp. 80-81
The Hitler of History, by John Lukacs
- The Hitler of History by John Lukacs
[+] Salve to Guilt (Review) , p. 82
Slaves in the Family, by Edward Ball
- Slaves in the Family by Edward Ball
[+] Advertising Revolution (Review) , pp. 82-83
The Conquest of Cool, by Thomas Frank
- The Conquest of Cool by Thomas Frank
[+] He Had a Dream (Review) , p. 84
The Vision of Piers Plowman, by William Langland and A.V.C. Schmidt
- The Vision of Piers Plowman by William Langland and A.V.C. Schmidt
- The Digest: Summaries of Important Research, pp. 85-89
Inequality Yes, Resentment No...Where Charter Schools Work...Back to Leviticus...Brandi...
- Opinion Pulse, pp. 90-93
- The Mail, pp. 94-95
- Last Gasp, pp. 96-98