On the previous Open Thread, spandrell asked me about my favorite Indian restaurant in London. I don’t really have the means to comprehensively answer that question (though I did do that for Moscow), but I will try my best.
I have an inordinate fondness for the Gujarati Rasoi stall at the Borough Market. It’s the only “British” food that I occasionally crave apart from fish and chips. I have long been of the opinion that Indians are the only people who can do vegetarian food. I can say that Tower Tandoori and Roti Chai are both perfectly good, though the latter is a bit on the expensive side. Do not go to the India Club – bad food, and they demand tips (wtf?). The Dishoom chain is very good and has a great atmosphere – their premises are lined with old books on India. Aladin Brick Lane is a cheap, kitschy, but good in its category hardcore BYOB curry place (that is where I tried my first and likely last phaal).
I am currently at a conference regarding certain psychological matters. I will write about that next week, and so will James Thompson, most likely.
More notable posts since the last Open Thread in case you missed any of them.
- Steve Hsu interviews our host Ron Unz. Lots of interesting and afaik new details on his early career in financial software.
- *ak* Iran poll:
- 55% think its kabuki theater. I mostly tend towards that opinion as well, but who knows.
- Noah Carl: Intimidation Tactics Used by Student Activists at St Edmund’s College
- Guillaume Durocher: Eudaimonic Economics
- Chinese tourist spending now double America’s
- It’s amusing to see Kyi disappoint Western liberals who took her for one of them time and time again
- US to sanction German firms involved in Nord Stream II. Germany needs to pay 2x for US LNG.
- Polish ambassador beaten in Israel
- Michael Tracey asks pertinent question: Has intellectual “dork web” ever criticized restrictions on anti-Israel speech? (I don’t know, have they?).
- BNE: Hungary’s stellar Q1 GDP growth puts it first in Europe
- Moscow is going to link its CCTV cameras to face recognition software by 2020 [in Russian]
- Irkutyanin: “Translation of a very important chronicle of Henricus de Lettis This monk chronicles the initiation of the Baltic Crusade and also details the first 40 years of relations with Novgorod and Pskov as well as the first Mongol Invasion of Russia.”
- “Mstislav of Novgorod prepares to open a massive war against the knights but is interrupted by the fall of Galicia to the Hungarians. This is extremely important historical evidence against those who claim no ties existed between geographically disparate Rusian princes.“
- Becoming the father: Cognitive heritability increases with age
- Lance Welton: Does Female Equality Mean More Lesbians?
- Scott Alexander: A Critical Period For Lactation Fetishes
- whyvert: “Social welfare use in Switzerland: Somalis 83.7%, Eritreans 54.7% … Swiss 2.3%, Australians 1.0%, Irish 0.9%, Japanese 0.6%“
- There is a new 14 year old girl anti-SJW YouTube star and Mr. Bernstein of Buzzfeed wants us all to know about her.
- Mangan speculates it won’t be long before SJWs go on the warpath against the keto diet
- Andrew Anglin predicts that anyone right of Ben Shapiro will be banned from the Internet in 1-2 years.
- *game of thrones* “Themes are for eighth-grade book reports,” Benioff told me. This explains a lot.
- Bronze Age Pervert on visiting Budapest.
- I recently spent more than a month in Budapest and I thought I’d pass along some impressions. Seeing people flip out about “authoritarian fascist nationalism” of Orban is very strange, Budapest is much in feel like any theme park West European city…very wine bar place…
- Budapest men are not beaten down, far from it, but they don’t walk owning the streets like you see even in Tokyo; the wimin are empowered, daily life is designed to cater to them: everything clean, safe, well-run. No political ferment. Of course this is because they WON…
- Remember how they compare Putin to Kim, call Russia totalitarian, contrive a panic about supposed concentration camps for inverts…when in fact Moscow is another liberal wine bar place with a vibrant ghey scene. Brazenness of lie becomes clear when consider ease of travel
- Roosh: 7 Things I Learned About Serbian Women. #5-6 are supposedly especially accurate, according to a Serb friend.
- Girl jumping like a horse.
- *ak* Ideal biological lifeform.