Great to see Daniel Chieh check in, however briefly.
RIP Guillaume Faye. I haven’t read any of his books, but I really dig the aesthetics associated with his work. FWIW, I think Solar Imperialist has the best archeofuturism imagery on Twitter today. ***
More notable posts since the last Open Thread in case you missed any of them.
- What the Pink Guards Think
- What Does Everyone Think About Andrew Yang?
- Rosstat: Politicization or Modernization?
- Western Media Reports Russia’s Imminent Islamization, Finds One Lunatic Russian Priest Who Agrees
- Chinese Diplomat Threatens Russian Journalist with Visa Cancellation, Disses Russian Economy
- Samuel Kronen: In Defense of Andrew Yang’s Freedom Dividend
- Guillaume Durocher: HBD in the Ancient World
- Growing signs of global recession incoming from China and Japan.
- So Venezuela didn’t even burn those food aid trucks (though they would have been well within their rights to do so given that an unknown group was aggressively using them to try to illegally cross its borders).
- Miguel Morel (Palladium): Report From Venezuela: An Inside Look At A Country In Free Fall
- Though as in my previous posts, this is not meant to be an endorsement of the Venezuelan system: “One night while driving home from work, he was ambushed by the local Chavista paramilitary. They dragged him out of the car and sawed off his leg. Left for dead, he crawled back into the car and stemmed the blood loss. Medical staff cleanly amputated his leg, gave him crutches, and sent him on his way. Two weeks later, he left for Colombia.“
- Andrew Yang currently has a 9% chance of clinching the Dem nomination on PredictIt.
- Found this map of number of Poles resettled from USSR to Poland!Germany after WW2.
- Doesn’t seem to have been that high (~1.5M). QUESTION: How many people were left there after Germans were evicted? This might explain those famous Poland maps correlating to the borders of the old empires. Perhaps the demographic inflow from Belarus just wasn’t anywhere near high enough to force a turnaround.
- Bryan MacDonald: No joke! Ukraine’s presidential choice: an oligarch, a gas princess or a comedian
- A Ukrainian Journalist Visited Russian Crimea and Struggled to Find “Repression”
- Leonid Bershidsky: Most New Russian Emigres Aren’t Fiery Dissidents. So, confirms what I said.
- Atlantic Council comes out against Poroshenko.
- Russian company MCST to start making 28nm microprocessors [in Russian].
- Russia orders all orcas and belugas kept in ‘whale prison’ be set free
- *powerful comment* AquariusAnon is what I call blackpilled
- Alexander Gabuev: “Story of Chinese diplomat threatening a Russian journalist is not about emerging hierarchy or rifts in Sino-Russian ties, but about clumsiness of much-hyped China’s official PR machine. It’s also shows how much Chinese diplomats are driven by politics at home, not diplomacy” / thread
- Amusing that in the wake of my China article certain crazy people are now calling me a Sinophobe.
- This week’s main Ukraine discussion here.
- Yasha Levine: “No wonder today’s OUN Ukraine is so Soviet. Stepan Bandera didn’t want to get rid of Soviet law…but simply replace “class” with “nation.”“
- Leonid Ragozin: “Back in the Soviet times or in the 1990s, it would be unthinkable to keep a fancy bike or a pram in public spaces of an apartment block in Moscow. My old house is now filled with them. Mutual trust is growing – a tectonic cultural shift invisible under the dirty film of politics.“
- Adrian Pecotic: Whoever Predicts the Future Will Win the AI Arms Race. Compares approaches of three leading Powers:
- China going for all out strategic level AI.
- Russia opting only for military AI, while decisions left to the generals; this is a function of its relative technological weakness.
- USA is in the middle, with generals to be advised by AI, but strategic level decisions left to politicians.
- Trump: “Wacky Nut Job @AnnCoulter, who still hasn’t figured out that, despite all odds and an entire Democrat Party of Far Left Radicals against me (not to mention certain Republicans who are sadly unwilling to fight), I am winning on the Border. Major sections of Wall are being built…“
- *powerful comment* Vishnugupta on what happened during the recent India vs. Pakistan skirmish
- *powerful comment* Jon0815 on why the US seems to be more comfortable threatening China with war wrt Russia
- Is Orban perhaps a bit too obsessed with Soros?
- Audacious Epigone: Millennial Dems likeliest to unfriend over political arguments
- Top Chinese officials plagiarised university theses.
- It will be interesting to observe China turn from anti-natalism to pro-natalism at stunning speeds.
- *powerful comment* Thorfinnsson on the US officer corps
- Carl Zha on the “most beautiful bookstore” in Chongqing
Science & Culture
- Ron Unz: American Pravda: Amazon Book Censorship
- More articles on the purge:
- Greg Johnson: Counter-Currents Bites Back Against Censorship
- Older… Roosh V: Amazon Has Banned 9 Of My Books Without Explanation (UPDATE)
- Crémieux: Is Eric Turkheimer a Scientist?
- Ancient polar trade routes in volcanic glass
- Carl Zha on the 50 year anniversary of the Sino-Soviet border war
- Psychometrist Edward Dutton has a YouTube channel.
- whyvert: At least 40% of people are eugenicists to some degree
- Why So Many of Your Favorite Beauty Personalities Are Mormon (via AP)
- Rob Henderson on altruistic monkeys
- Rosatom: “Germany’s CO2 emissions haven’t budged since 2009, despite a $580 billion investment in renewables and a 50% rise in electricity costs. Meanwhile, France produces 1/10 of the emissions Germany does and pays just over 50% of the bill. How? Nuclear power.”
- Velociraptors probably weren’t that bright… way above most other dinos, but encephalization index still only comparable to rabbits (though perhaps with higher neural density as avians are prone to be)
- Cohan, Deborah. 2019. “Racist Like Me – A Call to Self-Reflection and Action for White Physicians.” The New England Journal of Medicine 380 (9): 805–7.
- What is a racist like her doing in medicine? I think she needs to be fired.
- *powerful comment* Dmitry on Brodsky’s daughter
- Julia Ioffe vs. SJWs. Don’t you love it when the Coalition of the Fringes cannibalizes its own?
- Sorbonne prof Dominique Kalifa: “Le racisme expliqué en images aux faibles d’esprit”
- Well there’s substantial (2-3x) differences in vitamin density between different sorts of eggs.