Currently there are a bunch of Maidan/Crimea related five year anniversaries that have come up, or will soon come up. I will try to poast about them as time permits.
Admin note: Whenever I post more than 1-2 articles a day, some of them may not be visible, since there are three slots and 1-2 threads are typically stickied at any one time (usually the most recent Open Thread or a recent effortpost). Click on the T (“Teaser Archives”) next to my name to gain access to a list of all recent posts. Or just follow my feed.
More notable posts since the last Open Thread in case you missed any of them.
- Russia’s Military Losses in WW2. A Few Puzzles.
- Is Metro Exodus Russophobic?
- India vs. Pakistan
- Limits to Calculating Space
- *effortpost* The Cognitive Chain of Being: A New Approach to Animal Rights
- Ron Unz: Gaining Ground on The New Republic, The Nation, and Foreign Policy
- Just had a look at my own stats. February saw 36,803 visits and 131,677 views, which makes it the 4th most successful month ever in both categories. Considering that February only has 28 days, this means that we have recovered from the fall-off in blogging during mid-Nov to mid-Jan.
- Marko Marjanović: Breaking Down Soviet WWII Losses [PDF]. This seems a very good complement to my own post on the subject.
- The Ukraine elections are in one month’s time.
- I will certainly have more on that in due course, but it looks like Zelensky and Poroshenko will make it into the second round; at that point, Zelensky should crush Poroshenko, short of Poroshenko’s approval rating soaring and/or massive abuse of the “administrative resource.”
- Paul Robinson: The Ukraine bans its own Eurovision candidate ,exits contest, because she wouldn’t parrot Kiev’s propaganda.
- Niccolo Salo: Shifting media narratives: A few days ago an Italian outlet published a piece saying that Salvini’s Lega was going to take money from Russia. Then it admitted it had no evidence. Media went from ‘GOTCHA’ to “it’s a sign of Putin’s weakness”.
- (Former?) Russian oppositionist Maria Baronova hired by RT
- Ben Aris: Putin backs the FSB in the Calvey case because he needs to. Best explanation to date IMO.
- Leonid Bershidsky: Eastern Europe Feeds on a Shrinking Ukraine
- Ivan Katchanovski: Coverage of the Maidan massacre by the mainstream media in the West involves gross misrepresentation
- Kenneth Rapoza: Venezuela’s Guaido Says Russia Not Propping Up Nicolas Maduro
- Quillette: Why Renewables Can’t Save the Planets
- Claire Lehmann: Germany’s emissions have flatlined & electricity costs have increased 50% since they invested $580B in a renewables-heavy electrical grid. France produces 1/10th the emissions per unit of electricity as Germany & pays half for its electricity. Guess how.
- Polish support for gay marriages rises to 41% (civil partnerships: 56%)
- Mary Frances Williams: How I was Kicked Out of the Society for Classical Studies Annual Meeting
- Gregory Hood: Amazon and the End of Free Speech
- I notice that Amazon was slower to start actively deplatforming wrongthinkers, but it’s definitely picking up pace now.
- Gab.ai has released Dissenter, an app that allows you to contact on any article/website on the Internet. I have tried it and can’t vouch for it myself.
Science & Culture
- James Thompson: Gould Got It Wrong
Humor & Powerful Takes